Information referenced from Settlement.Org
If you are in need of financial and employment assistance because you are unable to work or unable to find work, you may be eligible to receive support from the government. Below is some background information the Ontario Works (OW) and the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP). More detailed information can be found by following the links provided, or by visiting http://www.settlement.org/topics.asp?section=EM.
· The Ontario Works program is for people who are unable to work or who cannot find work. It provides individuals with financial assistance to meet their basic needs, as well as employment assistance that is aimed at helping you find a job or upgrade your credentials. To be eligible, you must live in Ontario, be a citizen, permanent resident, refugee claimant or convention refugee, and dneed money immediately to meet your basic needs (i.e. food, shelter, etc.).
· The following website will allow you to evaluate whether or not you may qualify for financial assistance from Ontario Works: http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/apply_online.aspx
· The following website gives detailed instructions on how to apply for Ontario Works: http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/ow/apply.aspxonline pokie FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">
· The amount of money you receive from Ontario Works depends on your specific circumstances. You may also be eligible to receive benefits from Ontario Works related to healthcare, housing and employment. This link provides information regarding financial and employment aspects of Ontario Works ttp://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/ow/index.aspx
· For a list of Ontario Works office locations, link on this link: http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/ow/contacts/ow_contacts.aspx
· If you are eligible, the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), can provide you with financial assistance as well as employment assistance, which helps you in finding a job and with any necessary adjustments taht may be required to accomodate your disability.
· In order to be eligible for income support from ODSP, you must be an Ontario resident, a citizen, a permanent resident, convention refugee or refugee claimant, and "have a substantial physical or mental disability that will last one year or more" and "makes it hard for you to care for yourself or work."
· In order to be eligible for employment support, you must be at least 16 years of age, live in Ontario, and be legally permitted to work in Canada, and have a disability that will last afor one year or more and that makes it hard for you to obtain or keep a job.
· You are ineligible for this program if you are getting any other sort of disability supoprt, or if you are receiving support from Ontario Works.
· You must submit a number of documents in order to be eligible for assistance from ODSP, as well as go to an interview with an ODSP worker. The following link takes you to information that will help you find your local ODSP income support office: http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/odsp/contacts/index.aspx
· You may also be eligible for Canada Pension Plan Disability benefits. The following website provides more information on CPP-D http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/isp/cpp/disaben.shtml